"The Author, it must be remembered, writes from his own standpoint!"
My personal "Interpretive" Lens!

"One thing has always been true: That book ... or ... that person who can give me an idea or a new slant on an old idea is my friend." - Louis L'Amour


"Providing a first step on a path to self-reflection." - C. E. James

"Read not to contradict and confute; nor to believe and take for granted; nor to find talk and discourse; but to weigh and consider..." - Francis Bacon

"What is true today may be reevaluated as false not long after. Judgements are frequently based upon a set of "temporary" circumstances surrounding them. Conflicting ideologies can exist simultaneously. Antagonistic dualities are complementary aspects of a unified whole: are seen as mutually dependent mirror images of each other." - Nahum Stiskin

Warning, Caveat and Note: The postings on this blog are my interpretation of readings, studies and experiences therefore errors and omissions are mine and mine alone. The content surrounding the extracts of books, see bibliography on this blog site, are also mine and mine alone therefore errors and omissions are also mine and mine alone and therefore why I highly recommended one read, study, research and fact find the material for clarity. My effort here is self-clarity toward a fuller understanding of the subject matter. See the bibliography for information on the books.


Note: I will endevor to provide a bibliography and italicize any direct quotes from the materials I use for this blog. If there are mistakes, errors, and/or omissions, I take full responsibility for them as they are mine and mine alone. If you find any mistakes, errors, and/or omissions please comment and let me know along with the correct information and/or sources.

Kenpo Gokui

The lines of the ken-po goku-i are set from an atomistic aspect simply because it is the manner in which the brain learns. Its nature is completely holistic and like the I Ching must be in a form that promotes learning and understanding so a person can see, hear and grasp the nature of a holistic system. The gokui is a method to teach us how to be holistic. Its terseness is the best that can be done to convey its holistic meaning.

A person's heart is the same as Heaven and Earth while the blood circulating is similar to the Sun and Moon yet the manner of drinking and spitting is either soft or hard while a person's unbalance is the same as a weight and the body should be able to change direction at any time as the time to strike is when the opportunity presents itself and both the eyes must see all sides as the ears must listen in all directions while the mind must grasp all the tactile, olfactory and gustation data not seen on all sides and not heard in any direction


Master Zeng said, "Am I preaching what I have not practiced myself?"

All Bottles are Truly Good

All Bottles are Truly Good

Search This Blog

Isshinryu on Wiki and more ...

ISSHIN-RYU: "It is primarily a USA style of karate taught to American service men stationed on the island and extensively practiced in the United States. The Okinawans refer to it as “GI karate” which is a derogatory term, meaning that only a American GI who doesn't know better would practice it." 
From ~ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isshin-ry%C5%AB



"He who knows does not speak; he who speaks does not know." ~ Lao Tzu

This was read on one of my yahoo groups of which I am a guest member and grateful for as it has provided me the greatest advancement in Isshinryu I could possible acquire, academically and in practice/training.

The above quote is not all of what was said because in the remaining body the comments were unproductive. What I mean is that they expounded on THEM not knowing or accepting other factual information as to the true essence of Isshinryu and Bushi Tatsuo Shimabuku Isshinryu.

My recent studies have helped me to "see" some things that I apparently took for granted until now and that understanding lead to my responding to the yahoo group posting as follows:

Generally speaking, very general, as long as there are "groups" or "factions" where the perception is "us vs them" then change will never come. Why, because as hunter-warriors, i.e. that instinct the nature provided long ago for survival where we use to be in "tribes or groups if you will" where we protect our group as warriors it is instinctive that all those outside our group or tribe are "them" which is perceived at a subconscious level as not us so less than us we will always "not accept them" and thus never "change them" so we stay at this point with no progress.

Only when we all accept that we are all an "US" in Isshinryu and accept all of "US" into the group or tribe called Bushi Tatsuo Shimabuku Sensei Isshinryu Karate-do will change occur.

EVEN WHEN THE ONE GROUP IS ABSOLUTELY CORRECT, ACCURATE, FACTUAL, AND TRUE TO THE SPIRIT OF ISSHINRYU and the others perceive them as OUTSIDE their own group they WILL NOT ACCEPT it even when their logic and mind say "THAT IS TRUTH."

To make the change we have to first accept everyone into the group. Once a member where they all "accept that we are in the US group" then change comes for it is then acceptable to the one's previously OUTSIDE the US GROUP.

We must not just educate ourselves in Isshinryu, Okinnawa, Okinawans, and so forth but the world. In understanding the world we must understand the self and the self goes much farther than merely our current existance but also that which we take for granted. Much like walking, we do it naturally and instinctively so we don't consciously think about it until it is taken away, say in an accident, then suddenly it becomes something more...

Don't take this as any kind of attack, which your "monkey brain (ego)" may do instinctively, are you getting angry right now then the monkey brain is in charge taking you on the monkey dance floor, and if you are getting angry do you truly know why and don't say it is because I said this or that because that is also the monkey taking charge leading you on its path to anger, frustration, etc. [why I know this is because it is so].

If this article makes you angry then we are still speaking of THEM vs. US instead of trying to embrace them into the US group where we can make changes.

This is so because since I have had the privilige of being a guest of this group I have heard time and again the frustrations of all parties that these "THEM" are wrong and this and that which in the end DOES NOT PROMOTE CHANGE.

Maybe it is time for one US group/tribe to stop the cycle of frustration and be the instrument of change and the only way that will change is if we stop looking at them as "THEM vs. US" and try to find a way to make all who practice Isshinryu no matter what form, i.e. all bottles are good, come together into one tribe so all of US can see the truth.

I would not have the knowledge of Isshinryu I have now if not for the fact that as a Marine I was allowed to be a "guest" of this group. Just being a member with access to the archives has enlightened me far and above anything I was getting anywhere else so I am really AWARE of this tribe/groups potential. My deepest wish is to get others, THEM, to accept what is and if I get one more person to "see" and "hear" about Isshinryu as Bushi Tatsuo Sensei intended then I have reached success.

If things remain unchanged then it will always be this tribe vs. THEM tribes and no advancement or understanding will be achieved.

Or, so says I anyway, take it for what it is, neither an attack or submission but love of the Isshinryu style.

Last, ?????? Sensei said one thing that seems to have been overlooked, ANYONE CAN CHANGE WIKI, so is someone on this list who is knowledgeable making a change to the wiki list? It does say that if you have information that is pertinent to that entry you can MAKE A CHANGE TO IT!

The comment was stated as follows on the posting:

"The greatest problem of Isshinry-ryu is … " where in my opinion keeps Isshinryu remaining stagnate. This type of dance simply enables the others to stand up and with an indignant attitude tell the other group they are full of shit. Neither is gaining ground in getting all the various groups/tribes/factions together as one "US" tribe vs. THEM tribes. Such a shame.

Then I ask myself the question, am I helping? I suspect not but then again this feels good to me getting my frustrations in print to get it out of me. I keep hearing all the "whining" about they don't do this or don't know this and meanwhile never taking a stance in finding out the "Why" of not accepting anything from other groups.

It is simple, we look at our special group as OUR group which means those not in OUR group are not "US" and thus "THEM" so less than US so in order to get THEM to accept our word we must accept THEM into US.

Ok, done with the frustration, back to learning and practicing.

No comments:

Post a Comment