"The Author, it must be remembered, writes from his own standpoint!"
My personal "Interpretive" Lens!

"One thing has always been true: That book ... or ... that person who can give me an idea or a new slant on an old idea is my friend." - Louis L'Amour


"Providing a first step on a path to self-reflection." - C. E. James

"Read not to contradict and confute; nor to believe and take for granted; nor to find talk and discourse; but to weigh and consider..." - Francis Bacon

"What is true today may be reevaluated as false not long after. Judgements are frequently based upon a set of "temporary" circumstances surrounding them. Conflicting ideologies can exist simultaneously. Antagonistic dualities are complementary aspects of a unified whole: are seen as mutually dependent mirror images of each other." - Nahum Stiskin

Warning, Caveat and Note: The postings on this blog are my interpretation of readings, studies and experiences therefore errors and omissions are mine and mine alone. The content surrounding the extracts of books, see bibliography on this blog site, are also mine and mine alone therefore errors and omissions are also mine and mine alone and therefore why I highly recommended one read, study, research and fact find the material for clarity. My effort here is self-clarity toward a fuller understanding of the subject matter. See the bibliography for information on the books.


Note: I will endevor to provide a bibliography and italicize any direct quotes from the materials I use for this blog. If there are mistakes, errors, and/or omissions, I take full responsibility for them as they are mine and mine alone. If you find any mistakes, errors, and/or omissions please comment and let me know along with the correct information and/or sources.

Kenpo Gokui

The lines of the ken-po goku-i are set from an atomistic aspect simply because it is the manner in which the brain learns. Its nature is completely holistic and like the I Ching must be in a form that promotes learning and understanding so a person can see, hear and grasp the nature of a holistic system. The gokui is a method to teach us how to be holistic. Its terseness is the best that can be done to convey its holistic meaning.

A person's heart is the same as Heaven and Earth while the blood circulating is similar to the Sun and Moon yet the manner of drinking and spitting is either soft or hard while a person's unbalance is the same as a weight and the body should be able to change direction at any time as the time to strike is when the opportunity presents itself and both the eyes must see all sides as the ears must listen in all directions while the mind must grasp all the tactile, olfactory and gustation data not seen on all sides and not heard in any direction


Master Zeng said, "Am I preaching what I have not practiced myself?"

All Bottles are Truly Good

All Bottles are Truly Good

Search This Blog

Disturbance

Today's posting is on a disturbing trend in humanity and that involves the misguidance one can get from ill-practice of a fighting art. I say fighting art for what I am posting on has nothing to do with the "Way" or the "Tao" of the "gokui".

I do understand completely, more today than yesterday, why Tatsuo Sensei really wanted his deshi to learn about the "Kenpo Gokui". To receive instruction on such a brutal form of combat with out the spiritual and moral guidance leads to a disturbing trend to violence in the training hall which does reflect on behaviors outside of that arena. So here goes:

I have noticed of late the pension for passing along content of such a nature that is can only be described as disturbing and more importantly unnecessary.

Such things remind me of the traveler who suddenly encounters a traffic jam only to find that the cause was not the accident itself but the "gawkers" themselves slowing down to view the scene.

It makes me wonder what it is in our nature that draws us to the, what appears to be an inherent desire, viewing of brutality. When we look at history we see things like this have gone on for hundreds and maybe thousands of years.

Do things like this server any purpose? Do others who view such stuff actually learn something that brings about morality and justice? or...does it just fuel violence?

I remember a moment in time many years past as a recruiter in the Military where group violence almost occurred but for just one moment of thought that defaulted the growing group mood to one of reasonable thought averting what I now know would have ended in brutal violation of a person. I shutter to think of what would have happened if the one person had not had the morality to step up to the plate and diffuse the situation.

We even enjoy the violence of movies and games. Look at the shoot-em up video games and the movies that seem to make a lot of money that are violent. You can justify it to yourself by saying that it is not necessarily the violence but the end result of humanity overcoming such things, i.e. the good guy conquers the bad guy, etc. yet thinking about it does this really require the graphic nature of the movie.

Over an hour and a half of violence for about ten minutes where the good guys finally win. What does the person viewing it really remember? The end or all the stuff that comes before?

Then we must take a look at what we practice. The only difference between pure violence and brutality and the practice of karate DO is the mental attitude and intent. It is easy to let things slide into the power trip and end up being brutal.

I am not the riotous one for I have slipped into certain less moral modes and I hope that I have learned the Way so that I am more in control of those types of losses in morality. Maybe it is knowing the difference and ensuring that one follows the right "path."

Maybe it is because we tend to repeat things over and over and over and over and over again because we have failed to learn from it. I hope that one day mankind/humanity does learn from its past and finally and irrevocably overcome our pension for violence toward others.

Maybe then we all would be posting on the art of the tea ceremony or flower arranging or calligraphy as our means of finding the true path vs. the path of the empty hand where the underlying possibility of violence can be shifted to brutality at any one moment.

I am not going to quit my art of Isshinryu yet this today, the video that is going around that is pure ugly brutality in the guise of "martial art", does cause me great concern and further hardens my resolve to follow the correct "path" to the "one" so that I am more than just someone proficient in punching and kicking but one who is a model to other practitioners on how to do it right.

At least I am resolved to try my hardest! Truly think before acting for the action you take can and does have irrevocable consequences to the person acting and to whom that persons actions affect.

No comments:

Post a Comment