"The Author, it must be remembered, writes from his own standpoint!"
My personal "Interpretive" Lens!

"One thing has always been true: That book ... or ... that person who can give me an idea or a new slant on an old idea is my friend." - Louis L'Amour


"Providing a first step on a path to self-reflection." - C. E. James

"Read not to contradict and confute; nor to believe and take for granted; nor to find talk and discourse; but to weigh and consider..." - Francis Bacon

"What is true today may be reevaluated as false not long after. Judgements are frequently based upon a set of "temporary" circumstances surrounding them. Conflicting ideologies can exist simultaneously. Antagonistic dualities are complementary aspects of a unified whole: are seen as mutually dependent mirror images of each other." - Nahum Stiskin

Warning, Caveat and Note: The postings on this blog are my interpretation of readings, studies and experiences therefore errors and omissions are mine and mine alone. The content surrounding the extracts of books, see bibliography on this blog site, are also mine and mine alone therefore errors and omissions are also mine and mine alone and therefore why I highly recommended one read, study, research and fact find the material for clarity. My effort here is self-clarity toward a fuller understanding of the subject matter. See the bibliography for information on the books.


Note: I will endevor to provide a bibliography and italicize any direct quotes from the materials I use for this blog. If there are mistakes, errors, and/or omissions, I take full responsibility for them as they are mine and mine alone. If you find any mistakes, errors, and/or omissions please comment and let me know along with the correct information and/or sources.

Kenpo Gokui

The lines of the ken-po goku-i are set from an atomistic aspect simply because it is the manner in which the brain learns. Its nature is completely holistic and like the I Ching must be in a form that promotes learning and understanding so a person can see, hear and grasp the nature of a holistic system. The gokui is a method to teach us how to be holistic. Its terseness is the best that can be done to convey its holistic meaning.

A person's heart is the same as Heaven and Earth while the blood circulating is similar to the Sun and Moon yet the manner of drinking and spitting is either soft or hard while a person's unbalance is the same as a weight and the body should be able to change direction at any time as the time to strike is when the opportunity presents itself and both the eyes must see all sides as the ears must listen in all directions while the mind must grasp all the tactile, olfactory and gustation data not seen on all sides and not heard in any direction


Master Zeng said, "Am I preaching what I have not practiced myself?"

All Bottles are Truly Good

All Bottles are Truly Good

Search This Blog

The First Lesson

Well, I have read the book and will begin by saying that it really does not cover what I consider the "gokui" as you might assume by the title. The Last Lesson (the Go-kui of Isshin-ryu) uses the word a few times but from my studies of all the materials I can find written on Isshinryu this one falls into the category of the teaching philosophy of an old soldier of the fighting arts.

I applaud his attempts to seek out what he understands as to the kenpo gokui but this does not give me the feeling that it is what Tatsuo Sensei may have meant by his provision of the silk kenpo gokui to his first generation students. His motivation and desire is there and should be respected yet when I view the title and then read the content I believe it gives an incorrect impression and misguides practitioners as to the objective of the kenpo gokui.

In addition, again from my view and understanding of Isshinryu, etc., the book what not well researched ergo the reason I say it is the "philosophy" of a teacher of the fighting arts. I found inconsistencies and comments that to me do not reflect the thoughts or understood thoughts of Tatsuo Sensei or many of the Isshinryu community.

I initially took the error of the me-gami on the cover in reverse as something the publisher accidentally printed and after reading the book have come to the conclusion that the error was not the publishers.

Also, I would take this publication as not only the authors philosophy on teaching and history but also a "kudo's; slap on the back; resume of me" type book where a lot is reflecting on what they accomplished as well as what others accomplished which if the title and theme of the book had not been directed toward the gokui reference would have been just fine but my thoughts are driven by that title and my studies of it which I will remind you are mine and not necessarily correct ones either.

I will address one thought the author conveys about the kenpo gokui in his book that I feel is incorrect. He states that one can not address the "gokui" until they have reached a certain level and age in the practice of Isshinryu. I believe this is incorrect and here is my hypothesis as to what Tatsuo Sensei may have thought.

Marines were stationed on Okinawa for a short period of time, most like 9 to 13 months. They wanted to learn how to be better warriors and karate provided them a means to accomplish that by its use of kumite. This was a primary focus of their desire to take karate.

Also, in order to achieve a level of Sho-dan a means had to be developed so that this would be possible in the short span they spent on the island. Tatsuo Sensei may have had to struggle with this because he wanted to convey the spirit of Isshinryu yet still provide a means to achieve the black belt.

So I hypothesize this that to achieve that level he decided, justly so, that the physical part needed to be learned and somewhat mastered, as mastered as you can achieve in so short a time, so that they could become a dedicated student, i.e. Sho-dan, and then when they departed he gave them the silk kenpo gokui and stressed its importance in continued study of Isshinryu, a fighting art of Okinawa.

I believe that most missed what he wanted and focused on that coveted black belt and upon return to the United States focused on opening training halls and gathering practitioners to teach the sport aspects of kumite and achieve notoriety in the tournament system.

This is why only a few actually heard, i.e. reference to kenpo gokui "The ear must listen in all directions.", his true desire that his continuing students reflect and study the kenpo gokui and all it leads you to in the path.

Because of this glossing over of the silk certificate on the kenpo gokui by most a misunderstanding occurred. In the book it refers to a leading practitioner attendance of a meeting with Tatsuo Sensei in attendance where the kenpo gokui may have been one of many topics and upon return from that meeting assumed knowledge and understanding of the kenpo gokui.

This was a mistake as I feel, my thoughts and mine alone, it takes a practitioner who starts their study of that aspect from the beginning, not later in life, and continue its study through out a life. It is a fluid thing and changes as one practices, studies and assimilates it into the very essence of themselves where that illuminates continuously until the end of time.

I also feel that this is a personal thing one has to achieve so in that light I feel maybe this author has achieved all he can possibly achieve in regards to the kenpo gokui. His book is his gokui and his alone but don't make the mistake that what he provided is the end all of the kenpo gokui. Don't make any assumptions that any of what I say about this difficult subject is the end all either as it is not and it remains a fluid aspect to my practice.

I have a bit written on the subject but this also in merely my attempts to understand it all and is not the end all or even a correct interpretation. It is just mine and hopefully I will continue to "see" beyond my own limitations and continue to grow and learn.

Anyway, I digressed a lot here but one thing to take away from this is don't let the title give you the impression that this is the end of the gokui. Forget the title and its reference to the gokui and read it for what it is, a bibliography and philosophical dairy of a senior practitioner of the fighting art of Isshinryu.

The Kenpo Gokui should be your "first lesson," not the last.

No comments:

Post a Comment